January 4, 2010

Food Storage Plan

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, we are told to have a year's supply of food storage. Years ago, the ward I was in gave out a simple food storage plan. 

THE PLAN:
1.  Each week you purchase the suggested item(s) for that week.
2.  Buy the largest amount you can sensibly afford and will be able to use before the expiration date.
3.  Replace the items as you use them.
4.  Grocery stores don't always have the best buys.  Shop around.
5.  If you miss a week, skip to the next week.  Don't get behind.
6.  Have fun and remember this easy plan of food storage really works!

I have been doing this the last few months as well as my usual practice of stocking up on other sale items.  It has been kind of fun and makes me feel 'accomplished' when I can check off each week.  I thought I would share with all of you.  I will post the weekly items in my side bar so look for them there every week. 

Here is your first item:

January Week 1
Nuts.  They are a good source of protein.  Stores have after Christmas sales.  Dry roasted ones keep best.  Freeze bagged ones.

No comments: