April 22, 2009

"It Looks Beautiful, Mom." (updated)

I have been loving the sunshine. I think it is 5 days in a row now with sunny skies. Maybe 6. I may have been in it too much because I have a cold sore on my lip now. However, I don't think people will notice it much because now I have a black eye to go with it. Beautiful shades of purple actually. In fact Andy even said it looks beautiful.

I went to bed last night with a bump on my eyebrow and a swollen eyelid and woke up to an enormous purple eyelid. You can't even see my eye. I just want to crawl under my covers and stay there for a few days.

Last night I was helping Andy get ready for bed. Remember this is the kid that can't stand still and runs and jumps all day long. I was bending over him straightening his pj pants and 'night time underwear' when he decided to jump. His head smashed into my the bone above my eye--my eyebrow bone I guess you could say. I laid on the bed rolling around in pain thinking that it must be split open because I can't imagine it hurting any worse if it were. But there was no blood. Andy asked Janessa, "Is she crying?"

It actually didn't take the pain too long to subside to a dull ache, but now this ugly, ugly black eye. My brother got one once at a family reunion (coincidentally, it was from his son's head too while riding a wave runner) and it did the same thing. Wasn't very swollen at first and no bruising but as the hours went by it swelled and swelled and turned black. And it took a very long time for it to go away. So I am not that hopeful that this is going to disappear anytime soon.

And maybe I am too vain or prideful, but I am not taking Cameron to his speech class today. I just can't go out yet. Well, I suppose I could wear sunglasses . . .


update: I did take Cameron to speech class and only wore my sunglasses during circle time. By noon the swelling had gone down quite a bit and now most of my eye is visible.

2 comments:

Andrea Hardman said...

Oh No! I'm so sorry. I've managed to avoid that so far but my kids have given me a bloody nose before with thier little noggin's.

Scott said...

hey Melissa - I got the leaning gate fixed (by the firewood) and the gate fixed too.