November 12, 2012

Socks

I am copying the following from my friend's blog that she posted many years ago: (And I haven't seen her for many years as moves have taken us both to different parts of the country--but she is awesome and I miss her.)

"Where do all the dark church socks go? Is there a secret commune somewhere where missing socks can be found? We have 6 pair. I did ALL the laundry. Only one black sock. The rest are out partying somewhere, I guess...

So, I send a plea to the secret sock commune: Please send the socks home. We love them and miss them. We want them to be with us always. Socks, come home!"

Like Andrea, I wonder where all our dark socks go!  I don't know how many pair we have--a lot because I have hand-me downs from the older boys plus others that I have bought I know just for the little boys.  I have all sorts of mismatched dark socks of various sizes.  Of course nobody notices much if they wear mismatched socks, but it is amazing how many shades of "dark" there are.  I suppose I just need to throw them all away and buy about 10 new pair and see how long they last.  Hopefully they won't be persuaded to join the secret sock commune.  (buying new church socks has been on my 'list' for about a month now).

And speaking of church socks, the other day in church Andy was rubbing my leg which had nylons on it.  After a minute or so he asked "Why do you wear those kind of socks?"  "Well," I told him "because some person decided long ago for reasons unknown, that women were supposed to wear these kinds of socks."  I suppose I could look up the history of pantyhose, but I won't.  However, if you are interested you are welcome too.

Scott bought himself some new socks.  Dark ones and tan ones to go with some of the new clothes he bought.  He needed some slacks and dress shirts (but not necessarily white ones) because he GOT A JOB! He is not longer a stay at home worker.  He is the controller at the community college here--San Juan College.  This means that I have to do more ironing.  But it also means lots of other things, like health insurance (as opposed to the private health insurance we currently have that costs a whole lot), and a more traditional family schedule of Dad going to work 8-5.  We've had some adjustments but it is awesome.  And he usually doesn't lose his socks because they always make it to the laundry hamper (unlike my socks).  But only time will tell of course.


No comments: