August 20, 2012

Changes

Last fall my life entered a new phase--all the kids started school full-time.  For the first time in 17 years I had no preschoolers at home.

This year brings a bigger change--my first born is off to college in another state.  Our little family (or big depending on your perspective) will never be quite the same again.  It is a good change I know.  but it will be different around here for sure.  For one thing I lost my helpful driver.  Now I will have to drive the kids around myself and can't ask Dustin to stop by the grocery store for milk on his way home from work, or take the Redbox movie back that I keep forgetting about.  I also lost my best dishwasher unloader--the job I like least in the house. And I won't get to hear him bless the sacrament in church anymore.  Or have his humor at the dinner table.  Or get to watch him interact with his 6 year-old brother when asked to play action figures.

The other big change that effected our family this summer was The Business.  The business that we bought just over 4 years ago is gone, which Scott worked and I helped with now and then is gone.  He sold it this summer.  No more filing documents to the SEC for other companies.  No more deadline days, preceded by a week or so of long hours and little sleep for Scott.  It was good to us.  Or rather Scott made it good to us.  He was an awesome business owner and kept clients happy with his attention to detail and hard work ethic.  But he felt it was time for a change, found a buyer, and sold it.

He is now "semi-retired".  For a few months anyway while he decides what comes next.  He hasn't had a whole lot of down time since he stopped working--Scout camp, youth conference, family reunion, and some yard work, taking the kids swimming and biking and motorcycling, Eagle project help.  He did buy a mountain bike and is enjoying this new found hobby, and enjoying more time for running.  He running in the Ragnar next summer in Utah.

And I am thinking maybe it is time for me to get a job.  But part-time.  Because I don't think I could ever handle full-time.  I am too spoiled.  But maybe full-time could be an option I suppose if there were to someone else to do the laundry, and the cleaning and cooking, and the chauffeuring, the grocery shopping, and . . . hmmm, I wonder if there is such a person available...

No comments: