November 18, 2010

Home Improvements

There is a light switch in my room that does nothing.  There is no ceiling light and none of the outlets are connected to the switch.  Even though I have lived in this house for over a year, I still flip the switch most times when I walk in my room expecting a light to come on.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I came home from shopping the other day and my husband was installing a ceiling light in our room!  We could tell from the 'uneveness' or whathaveyou of the texture of the ceiling that there must have at one time been a fixture there.  So Scott climbed into the attic, found the (what's that technical jargon...?) thing and wires to connect a light to, and cut a hole in the ceiling to get to it, and hooked up a new light fixture.  Awesome.  Now when I turn on the light switch I have light!  I had no idea it was even on his to do list.

And last week ago Scott and Brennen built me a food storage shelf.  We have no pantry or storeroom to speak of. So I have food in the laundry room and Scott's office, which are both off of the kitchen.  I decided I needed a shelf to put all those bottles of grape juice I did.  And applesauce and next year's peaches (I didn't do any of those this year).  I designed a shelf for the laundry room deep enough to hold 3 quart-sized bottles, and 2 #10 cans (the kind we Mormons get from the dry pack cannery), and just tall enough to maximize space. If you are curious, each shelf is 12 and 3/4 inches deep and 7 and 1/2 inches apart (high).   And the shelves had to fit between the garage door and the door to the backyard.  I designed them and my boys put them up.  Aren't they beautiful?!?


(note on the right side my genius husband put nails to hold our tape!)
and I really don't have that many bottles of juice -- I mean they are not "3 deep"-- a lot are just at the front so it looks like more, you know, for a better picture...

1 comment:

Andrea Hardman said...

Awesome shelves! I wish I could borrow your boys to build me some shelves somewhere. That would be great.