August 22, 2009

Choosing Sides

When we moved, I decided to switch sides of the bed with my husband. In this bedroom, if you walk in the door, turn and take a few steps, you run into into the side of the bed. In our old bedroom, you pretty much had equal access to either side as you entered the room. I decided I would take the side of the bed closer to the wall, away from the door. That way, when kids get up in the night, they would have a straight shot at Daddy and not me. However, for some reason it hasn't worked out that way. They still manage to navigate through the maze of boxes in the dark and arrive at my side of the bed in the wee hours of the morning. Not fair that kids seem to have a "Mom radar". You know, the one that never lets us go to the bathroom without someone finding us and pounding on the door, or talking to us underneath it.

I do have to say, much to my delight, my kids don't wake up nearly as much as they used to. Hooray! I am getting more uniterrupted sleep than I have for years. In fact, Andy finally started sleeping through the night every night about 3 or 4 months ago. Even though he is 7, he would still wake up and come into our room 4 or 5 nights a week.


Some food for thought: Did you know that most couples sleep with the man on the "driver's side" of the bed? If you were to sit up in bed, and think like you were in a car, the man is usually on the driver's side and the woman on the passenger side. How is it at your house? Do you and your spouse fit the norm? I am now on the driver's side, after having been on the passenger side for years .

2 comments:

Veater Family said...

That is so crazy! That is the case with us! Weird :)

emily and Nate said...

us too...funny because Nate always makes me drive