December 7, 2009

Laundry, Laundry, Go Away

It isn't fair that laundry does not take a sick day, a holiday, or vacation. When your family goes on vacation, the dishes vacation too, because of course we are not in our kitchen to use them. They also take a semi-sick day because when Mom is sick, the husband usually picks up some fast food for dinner, which leaves very little dishes to clean up.

But laundry is a different story. It just never, ever goes away. It follows you on vacation and piles up on holidays and seems to triple on sick days. The week before Thanksgiving I decided to make some Christmas pillowcases to sell at a craft fair, so for two days I was sewing instead of doing laundry, so I got a little behind. However, had I known that I was going to be in bed sick the following Monday and Tuesday I would have thrown some laundry in during my sewing days. On the Wednesday before Turkey day I worked hard to catch up on everything--grocery shopping, house cleaning, and laundry. And the kids were out of school too (enough said). I was also preparing for 26 people to eat at my house the following day. Then of course, Thanksgiving and the weekend happened, and my brother and his family were in town so no laundry got done. Yet the laundry waited, almost taunting me.

I am still trying to dig through the piles--clean and dirty. The washing and drying is not that bad.  It's the folding and putting away and the matching of socks.  And when I think I am catching up, more laundry finds its way into the laundry room. Maybe we just have too many clothes. . .

4 comments:

Krystal said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one!!! I loved this post! I never thought of the day's off for dishes, but not laundry....BUMMER!! We need to figure that one out. Unfortunatly that would mean running around without clothes on, to give laundry a break!! So, really there is NO option! Good luck catching up, and I am glad you are back on your feet. Being sick is no fun.

Oh, and THANK YOU for the Birthday Wishes, you are too sweet and thoughtful. Your message made me smile :)

tonya said...

I wish you could send me your laundry. I have time to sit and sort and match and fold. :) I really miss you!

Andrea Hardman said...

I'm with you. Boo laundry! And Krystal may have stumbled onto a fabulous idea! If we all wear blindfolds, or at least strong mesh so that only blurred shapes would be visible, I think the naked thing has merit.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about how the laundry doesn't go away, too. I wonder which is better, being naked or not change clothes as often...

I've been doing pretty good about it, it is soooo discouraging to see pile of dirties the day after I do the laundry!!!

Oh One thing I do that I like is to just sort the clean ones, and have older kids fold or put them away. Maybe you already do it. I'm so tempted to have Todd do it, too.....

Good luck!
Ayako